Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 8: me a history expert? I don't think so


Laura and I woke up a little bit earlier today so we could go down to South Gate to buy some school supplies before class. It proved to be harder than yesterday for both of us to get up despite that we went to bed earlier than Sunday. We made it down to the Southgate where I bought paper and folders for classes and then we still had time so we stopped to pick up postcards.

Our Jane Austen class today was a walking tour, but before we left he told us our partners for our presentations next week and the topics; I am with Baxter and we are doing Social Rank in Pride and Prejudice. Our walking tour took us all over the city of Bath (well not too terribly far but to a lot of different places) including to her few former residences and places described throughout Northanger Abbey – we even followed exactly where Catherine and Isabella went in pursuit of two young men, which was really cool. We took a fair amount of pictures on the walking tour, but to be honest I don’t remember the significance of all the buildings I took photos of. Halfway through the tour it did begin to rain significantly, but what else can be expected of England? I brought my umbrella so it wasn’t really a bit deal, but hopefully some sunshine will appear when we go to take pictures of the abbey one day and when we decided to do our lion photo shoot. It has been decided (mostly by me) that we all need to pose with a different lion in Bath while we are here because they are just everywhere!

Between classes I went to Scoffs for lunch and then went back to the common room in Nelson House to read for Jane Austen’s tomorrow class (reading ahead!) In film class we watched A Long Good Friday, which had Helen Mirren and Pierce Brosnan in it and was fairly good. I became a bit tired at points though and my coughin has not stopped all day despite the fact that I bought plenty of cough drops (they appear to be useless in stopping coughing).

After class it was our goal to find a post office in South Gate, but we did not but Catherine did manage to buy a phone and I bought a couple cards. Furthermore, while Laura and I were waiting for Catherine an English woman asked us for directions. Now I don't know why she would ask us for directions we must have looked British - well that can't be true - well we look like we know where we're going - no we were just standing there looking like lost tourists - we were talking in English accents - definitely not we were talking like regular old Americans - rationale there is no reason why she should have asked us for directions. As we were walking up towards our house I apologized for something and Laura and Catherine told me I said sorry with an English accent (I had no knowledge of this and was in disbelief) but they were very adamant that I did. I'm adopting an accent without knowing it on the fourth day here. LOL.

Back at the house I organized my papers in my newly bought folders. We were on our own for dinner tonight and I had leftover pasta and made some shrimp to go with it. For a lot of the evening I was reading for my film class and I am all done with readings for this week! I feel really good for getting ahead, but papers and presentations in addition to readings are in order for net week so I have to start thinking about all of that soon. I then decided it was time to decorate with pictures, which was an interesting task since we are not allowed to put any on the walls. I found a way to decorate with them as you can see if you look at the photos near the end.

It is almost 10pm but that is pretty early for me to write up my blog (so far on this trip anyway) so I am exciting to be on top of it. Although I say that I am ahead in film reading I don’t feel very confident about the film readings so I think I will be going back through those tomorrow during my class break. The rest of the evening entails some postcard writing and then Laura and I are going to try to tackle some planning. We are going to make a huge calendar with all our assignments and trips planned as well as nightly events so we can see where we can fit in the other things we want to do and decided what the other things we want to do are (I feel this will take more than one evening, but we need to start soon!)

Hopefully all is going well back in the States. Tomorrow might be a more interesting day since we have the Bizarre Bath Walking Tour in addition to another Jane Austen walking tour. My film class will be a little nerve racking because we will be talking about the film in relation to the book which I found confusing, but hopefully my class will be in the same boat as me since most of them haven’t’ taken a film class before. Though he seems to think I am his film history expert along with Peter and neither of us seem to be able to remember the specifics he is pointing to and Jim wasn’t really interested in British cinema so it was definitely not a focus of our previous instruction.

photos (today's photos start on page 2, the 2nd photo or photo #22)

No comments:

Post a Comment